PLANNED NEGLECT ????


     I heard of a noted young concert artist who was asked the secret of her success with her violin. 
     "There were many things which demanded my time. When I went to my room after breakfast I made my bed, straightened my room, dusted the floor and did whatever came to my attention. When I finished my work I turned my attention to violin practice. That system failed to accomplish the result desired, so I reversed things. I deliberately PLANNED TO NEGLECT everything else until my practice period was completed. That program of PLANNED NEGLECT accounts for my success."
     Jesus said: "But seek FIRST His kingdom and His righteousness, and all these things will be added to you" (Matt. 6:33).
    The hymn writer put it this way: "Turn your eyes upon Jesus; look full in His wonderful face. And THE THINGS of earth will grow strangely dim, in the light of His glory and grace."
     Another hymn says "take time to be holy." Some have changed the wording to "take time to BEHOLD HIM." Every day we have choices to make. We must practice PLANNED NEGLECT in order to be in the Word, in prayer and involved in the work of His Kingdom. 
     Duties delayed are the Devil's delight!

- dick christen